" The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)'s Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi told Xinhua on Wednesday that six cases of the Ebola virus that has plagued the province of Ecuador were confirmed by laboratory tests.
Search This Blog
Thursday, August 28, 2014
DR Congo confirms 6 Ebola cases
" The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC)'s Health Minister Felix Kabange Numbi told Xinhua on Wednesday that six cases of the Ebola virus that has plagued the province of Ecuador were confirmed by laboratory tests.
Tuesday, July 29, 2014
Hong Kong : Case of invasive Haemophilus influenzae type b infection under CHP investigation
The patient, with good past health, has presented with fever, cough and runny nose since July 18 and was admitted to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital (PYNEH) on July 24 for management. He then developed convulsion yesterday (July 28) and was transferred to the Paediatric Intensive Care Unit on the same day for further treatment.
The clinical diagnosis is meningitis and he is currently in serious condition.
His cerebrospinal fluid sample tested positive for Hib antigen upon laboratory testing by PYNEH.
Initial enquiries by the CHP revealed that the baby boy had travelled to Manila with his family on May 4 and returned to Hong Kong on July 20. His home contacts have remained asymptomatic. Investigations are ongoing."
Wednesday, July 23, 2014
Malaysia : 94 Dengue Fatalities So Far This Year
" The number of dengue deaths this year as of last Sunday stands at 94 people, an increase of 224 per cent as compared to the corresponding period last year, according to the Health Ministry.
Selangor recorded the highest fatalities at 38 people as compared to seven people last year while Johor experienced 14 deaths, double the number last year, the ministry said in a statement here today.
The ministry said Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya recorded eight dengue fatalities as compared to seven last year."
Friday, July 4, 2014
Malaysia : Penang’s three cases of Japanese Encephalitis came from different areas, says official
Via The Malay Mail :
" The three cases of Japanese Encephalitis in Penang come from different areas in the state, Penang state executive councillor for health Dr Afif Bahardin said today, suggesting that the infections did not come from a common source.
Two cases come from George Town and Bagan Jermal in north Seberang Perai. In the third case infection is believed to have happened in Tasek Gelugor.
“There are no abattoirs or pig farms in George Town and Bagan Jermal,” Dr Alif told a press conference today.
Pigs are reservoirs for the virus that causes the disease but the Culex mosquito is responsible for passing the virus from pigs to humans."
Thursday, July 3, 2014
Malaysia : Second JE victim in Penang
" A toddler in Penang has been warded at the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Penang Hopsital after she became the second victim of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) in Penang.
Wednesday, July 2, 2014
Singapore : 'Significant increase' in dengue cases, with further rise likely - NEA
" The National Environment Agency (NEA) has reported a “significant increase” in the number of dengue cases in Singapore, with the figures likely to rise as the weather heats up.
Malaysia : JE kills two toddlers
" Two toddlers, one in Tuaran and another here, died in the middle of last month due to Japanese Encephalitis (JE).
Monday, June 30, 2014
Malaysia : Boy in Penang confirmed to be suffering from JE
Via The Star :
" The 12-year-old boy from Tasek Gelugor who was admitted to a private hospital here for observation is confirmed to be suffering from Japanese Encephalitis (JE).
Penang Health Department director Datuk Dr Lailanor Ibrahim, when contacted, confirmed the matter and said the boy, who is in a coma, was in the intensive care unit of the hospital.
“We have received his medical report and a test on the boy’s spinal fluid carried out by the hospital found that it was JE positive,” he said.
On Sunday, a local television station reported that the boy, from Sekolah Kebangsaan SK Kampung Selamat, was in critical condition and had fallen into a coma.
He was reported to have had high fever since May 18 and was treated at the Kepala Batas Hospital before being transferred to the private hospital."
Health Ministry records 44 H1N1 cases; no reports of coronavirus MERS in Oman
" The Ministry of Health quoted its statistics to state that 44 cases of H1N1 were recorded in Oman during the second half of June 2014.
In a statement, the Ministry of Health on Sunday said the registered cases ranged between those having minor symptoms that may not need treatment and moderate ones that need follow up at a hospital. No new deaths attributed to the virus were recorded this month.
The ministry said it has not recorded any new cases of coronavirus 'Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS)' since last December."
Wednesday, May 28, 2014
Chinese man dies from H7N9, son infected
"
Singapore : Sharp rise in number of dengue cases last week
" The number of dengue cases has seen a spike in recent weeks, said the Ministry of the Environment and Water Resources (MEWR) in a Facebook post on Tuesday (May 27).
Friday, May 23, 2014
Malaysia : Disease outbreak in Johor Baru prison
" A disease outbreak, believed to be meningitis, has occurred at the Ayer Molek prison resulting in at least four inmates being admitted into the intensive care unit (ICU) of the Sultanah Aminah Hospital here.
Hong Kong : CHP closely monitors two additional human cases of avian influenza A(H7N9) in Mainland
A total of 429 human cases of avian influenza A(H7N9) have been confirmed in the Mainland, including Zhejiang (138 cases), Guangdong (108 cases), Jiangsu (54 cases), Shanghai (41 cases), Hunan (23 cases), Fujian (22 cases), Anhui (17 cases), Jiangxi (eight cases), Beijing (four cases), Henan (four cases), Guangxi (three cases), Shandong (three cases), Jilin (two cases), Guizhou (one case, imported from Zhejiang) and Hebei (one case)."
Wednesday, May 21, 2014
Malaysia : Two more trainees down with ILI symptoms
Via The Star :
" Two more trainees at the Dusun Minda Resort in Kuala Nerang have been found with Influ-enza-like Illness (ILI) symptoms.
“As of now, 62 trainees are being monitored by medical staff. The two joined the group when they showed ILI symptoms on Monday evening,” said camp commander Lt-Kol Hasnan Rashid.
“The good news is one of them recovered and medical staff have discharged him. He was allowed to rejoin the rest of the healthy trainees (yesterday morning).”
Lt-Kol Hasnan said the trainees under observation, including the four tested positive for H1N1 virus, were in a stable condition and that “everything is under control”.
Kedah Health Department director Datuk Dr Ismail Abu Taat concurred.
“It will take about two weeks for them to recover fully. It is not life-threatening unless it afflicts those who have health problems like lung disease and diabetes or women who are pregnant,” said Dr Ismail."
Tuesday, May 20, 2014
India, Rajasthan : Swine flu claims one more victim in Rajasthan, toll reaches 12
" The dreaded swine flu has claimed one more life in Rajasthan, taking the death toll in the state to 12 since April 1.
Of these 12 swine flu related deaths in the state, three persons each died in Ajmer and Jaipur, and one victim each in Bhilwara, Rajsamand, Jodhpur, Nagaur, Bikaner and Pali, the report said.
Malaysia : Number of NS trainees in Dusun Minda showing flu-like symptoms up to 61
" The number of National Service (NS) trainees showcasing symptoms of influenza-like illness (ILI) from Dusun Minda Resort in Kuala Nerang, has risen from 54 to 61, seven more than reported Sunday.
Friday, May 16, 2014
Three more MERS deaths in Saudi; toll reaches 160
" Health authorities in Saudi Arabia yesterday announced the deaths of another three people from the MERS respiratory virus, taking the country’s toll to 160.
The health ministry’s daily bulletin on the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome outbreak in the Gulf nation said the latest people to die were two women aged 72 and 54 and a 63-year-old man.
World Health Organisation said on Wednesday that while concern about the virus had “significantly increased”, the disease was not yet a global health emergency. Of the new cases, three had died."
Netherlands reports second MERS case
" A second Dutch case infected of the deadly Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus has been confirmed, the Dutch National Institute for the Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) announced on Thursday.
Thursday, May 15, 2014
Hong Kong : CHP notified of one additional human case of avian influenza A(H7N9) in Mainland
" The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health (DH) yesterday (May 14) received notification of one additional human case of avian influenza A(H7N9) from the Health and Family Planning Commission of Guangdong Province. The patient is a 71-year-old man who lives in Meizhou. He is currently hospitalised for treatment.
A total of 423 human cases of avian influenza A(H7N9) have been confirmed in the Mainland, including Zhejiang (138 cases), Guangdong (106 cases), Jiangsu (53 cases), Shanghai (41 cases), Hunan (23 cases), Fujian (22 cases), Anhui (14 cases), Jiangxi (eight cases), Beijing (four cases), Henan (four cases), Guangxi (three cases), Shandong (three cases), Jilin (two cases), Guizhou (one case, imported from Zhejiang) and Hebei (one case)."
Wednesday, May 14, 2014
US : Florida hospital workers being monitored after MERS exposure
" Employees at two Orlando hospitals who came in contact with a Saudi resident infected by the second confirmed U.S. case of a rare virus are being monitored for symptoms and have been told to stay home for two weeks, health officials said Tuesday.
Monday, May 12, 2014
MERS Coronavirus cases in Saudi Arabia increases to 480, including 139 deaths
" Saudi Arabia's registered number of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) coronavirus cases has increased to 480 by Saturday, including 139 deaths, after adding six new cases and six more deaths, the country's Health Ministry said.
Saturday, May 10, 2014
Malaysia : Indonesian Man Dies Onboard AIRASIA X Flight From Jeddah
Via NTV7 News :
" A 64-year old Indonesian man died onboard an AirAsia X flight which left Jeddah en route to Kuala Lumpur last night.
The Health Ministry is now taking precautionary measures following the current spike in numbers of those affected with the Middle East respiratory virus MERS worldwide.
AirAsia X in a statement said, the family of the deceased has been informed.
The victim was believed to have been on his way home to Jakarta via Kuala Lumpur after performing the umrah.
His remains have been brought to the Serdang Hospital Forensic Unit for post mortem.
He added that most of the passengers on the AirAsia X D7 171 flight were Indonesians.
Meanwhile all the Malaysians who were onboard the same flight will undergo further preventive medical checkups in due time."
Thursday, May 1, 2014
India : H1N1 Claims Two Lives in Bangalore
" The H1N1 virus has claimed two lives in April, and hospitals across the city have reported 10 other cases.
Wednesday, April 30, 2014
Canada : Measles Outbreak Declared In Calgary, Edmonton, Central Alberta
" Alberta has officially declared a measles outbreak.
Over 17,400 cases of hand-foot-mouth disease recorded in Vietnam in first four months
No New MERS Cases in Greece – Man Home from Gulf Clear
" A Greek man who returned to Athens from the Persian Gulf tested negative Tuesday for the deadly respiratory disease MERS, which has killed dozens of patients in Saudi Arabia. The 70-year-old was being treated in a negative-pressure room at Sotiria Hospital in Athens.
According to authorities two other people who were diagnosed with MERS-like symptoms also tested negative to the virus. The only confirmed case of the deadly respiratory disease is a 69-year old Greek man, permanent resident of Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, who returned to Greece on April 17 and has been in hospital since and is still in a critical condition.
He is in a special negative-pressure isolation chamber for contagious respiratory diseases, while a spot at an intensive care unit is being made available, in case his condition deteriorates further. Doctors are using an experimental drug to deal with the patient’s condition."
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
Indonesian allegedly contracts MERS-CoV in Saudi Arabia
" The Health Ministry says an Indonesian citizen is suspected to have contracted the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Corona Virus (MERS-CoV) and is now receiving a medical treatment at King Saud Hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia.
Hong Kong : Three patients with respiratory symptoms and travel history test negative for MERS-CoV
" The Centre for Health Protection (CHP) of the Department of Health (DH) is today (April 28) investigating three suspected cases of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) whose respiratory specimens were all negative for MERS Coronavirus (MERS-CoV), and called on the public to stay alert and maintain good personal, food and environmental hygiene during travel.
Two of the cases involve a man aged 53 and his wife aged 52. The male patient presented with low grade fever, sore throat and runny nose on April 19 while his wife with underlying illness developed cough, fever, sore throat, headache and myalgia yesterday (April 27). They were both admitted to Princess Margaret Hospital today for management under isolation in stable condition. Both of their nasopharyngeal aspirates were tested negative for MERS-CoV upon preliminary laboratory testing by the CHP's Public Health Laboratory Services Branch (PHLSB).
They travelled to Tunisia from April 18 to 25 with transit in Dubai. They visited a zoo on April 19 and did not have direct animal exposure, but took a camel ride on April 20.
The remaining case is a man aged 56 with underlying illness. He presented with sore throat, headache, chills and rigor on April 22 and was admitted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital yesterday for management under isolation in stable condition. His nasopharyngeal swab was negative for MERS-CoV upon the PHLSB's preliminary laboratory testing.
He travelled to Venice on April 18 via Doha, and to Bari, Greece, Turkey, Istanbul and Croatia by cruise from April 19 to 26, during which he had no contact with animals or patients. He returned to Hong Kong yesterday."
Monday, April 28, 2014
Malaysia : No new cases of MERS-CoV reported after incubation period ends
Via NST, excerpt :
" There are no new cases of the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus (MERS-CoV) reported in the country so far, making the cumulative number of the case to remain at one.
Health director-general Datuk Dr Noor Hisham Abdullah said the incubation period of 14 days on other contacts exposed to MERS-CoV victim in Johor, ended yesterday.
"Cumulatively, a total of 222 contacts were detected across the country and all of them are currently in good health.
"Out of the 79 samples taken from the close contacts, none of them was tested positive for MERS-CoV," he said in a statement here today.
The only victim of MERS-CoV in the country was a 54-year-old man from Batu Pahat, Johor, who returned from the Holy Land on March 29."
Thailand : 50 die of H1N1 this year
" A total of 30,024 people throughout the country have contracted Type A H1N1 influenza virus this year and 50 of them have died, according to public health permanent secretary Narong Sahamethapat.