Via New Straits Times, excerpt :
" ALOR STAR: A 17-year-old boy has become the second person to die of leptospirosis in Kedah this month.
Kedah health director Dr Marzuki Md Isa said the teenager died on Saturday at Sultanah Bahiyah Hospital.He is believed to have gone for a dip in the Puncak Janing recreation area in Kuala Nerang with four friends on July 16.
"His friends do not have symptoms of the disease," Dr Marzuki told Bernama, but they were also given treatment because the symptoms could emerge even after 15 days following contact with the bacteria.
"Some cases even take up to three weeks to be detected." The first death from the disease in the state occurred early this month when an employee of the Penang Health Department died at Bukit Mertajam Hospital in Penang after a dip at the Lata Bayu picnic site in Baling, Kedah.
In Kuala Lumpur, the Health Ministry said it was coming out with an awareness campaign to stem the rise in leptospirosis infections."